PPSA Master Class 2017
Halfday seminar 17 March, 2017
Paul Rogerson, Head of Legal, NRMA (Chair); Professor Sheelagh McCracken, University of Sydney; Tony Coburn, Head, Australian Banking Regulatory Team, Herbert Smith Freehills; Nicholas Mirzai, Level 22 Chambers and co-author Annotated Personal Property Security Act
The Gallery Room, Mitchell Wing, NSW State Library
09:00AM to 12:30PM
8.30am Registration opens
Paul Rogerson, Head of Legal, NRMA (Chair)
9.15am Tackling the default priority rules under PPSA s55
Professor Sheelagh McCracken, University of Sydney
• Statutory gaps.
• Interplay with ss66-68.
• Application in chains of leases.
10.10am The PPSR: practical approaches to searching and registration
Tony Coburn, Head, Australian Banking Regulatory team, Herbert Smith Freehills
• Making sense of a search from the PPSR.
• What is capable of being misleading and ineffective?
• Common errors in registration.
• How to describe a grantor properly.
• Traps when completing a financing statement.
• Selecting the right collateral class.
• How and when to include a collateral description.
• Claiming a PMSI.
• Tracing into proceeds.
11.00am Morning tea
11.20am Litigation concerning the PPSA: lessons learnt and lessons to be learnt
Nicholas Mirzai, Level 22 Chambers; co-author Annotated Personal Property Security Act
• Jurisprudence update: the position so far
• Cases that have not been argued before the courts
• The vesting provisions and the interaction between insolvency, events of default and the PPSA
• How to avoid the courtroom: when to seek external advice and what to do with that advice.